Tuesday 29 April 2008

Do I need all in one?

Henry Jenkins brings up the opportunity for today's media to collaborate with each other (2006). When it comes to different medias working together it is amazing what they can make. It is impressive how I can with a small thing like my mobile phone do all the other things than just calling to people. If I have a camera on my mobile phone I do not really need to buy a camera on its own. And if I see something out of the ordinary I can just pick up my phone and take a picture of it. How handy! If the phone also has a mp3 player I will save room in my pocket since I do not need to by one. It seems very convenient and it saves much space in my bag. If I also can browse the Internet on my mobile I do not have to find a computer every time I want to search for or check something. On a busy day this could be really helpful. I have never in my life needed a video camera and I never really wanted one. But after I got my new phone which got one I occasionally find things I honestly feel I have to film. When I started to think back I found out I did not really need to send photos to my friends randomly before I got a camera on my phone. So maybe people do not need all the different tools in one device but feel the call to use it when it is already there. It can be convenient if you need all the different tools but for me I have realised it is too much. I have so many things on my mobile I do not even use.

It can be compared to the Swiss army knife. It is a knife but it is also so much more. It is a multi tool with bottle opener, screw driver, reamer and so much more. It is like a small toolbox. But now this knife is not only a toolbox anymore. It is also a mp3 player and a USB flash drive. It is both a toolbox and a technological device. As I said before; it is impressive how you can have one device but at the same time have all the tools you need for whatever occasion I would happened to bump into. But if I was walking around with a Swiss army knife for a week I am pretty sure I would not even use half of the tools it got because I do not really need them.

2 comments:

Katelyn said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog, because it really goes to show that in this ever changing world of technology that as soon as they invent a new way of transmitting media, they want to put it in a mobile phone or make it an added function for your fridge, because having the ability to surf the net, whilst making dinner is something that we all need, apparently. It surprises me as well that everyone needs all these things on their mobile, or their fridge for that matter. I mean there was a time when mobile phones where carried around in suitcases, and when someone was trying to ring you, you had to put the antenna up yourself and find your own signal, and back then all a mobile could do was call, I absolutely agree with you that if mobile phones did not have these functions, like Internet, camera, video etc, then we would not care if we didn’t have them. Things are getting smaller and putting everything on one device is becoming the new thing. Just like those gadgets in the Bond films or in the TV show Get Smart, pens as cameras, shoes as phones. My question to you is if you think it will ever end, or do you think that we will continue to minimise mobile phones but maximise the functions it can do. Also, what do you think will be the next big thing to be fitted with the Internet, the fridge is already taken, so what’s next?

Amelia Valenti said...

This blog was great! Very entertaining and really brought me back down to earth for a few seconds. I was actually laughing as you listed all of the features on all of these appliances. It is getting a bit ridiculous isn’t it? I mean really, who uses all of these items at one time. We are becoming a greedy bunch of people aren’t we!?

It is very interesting though, the points you were making concerning technologies and the way they have gradually (and smoothly) transmitted into our everyday lives. As in the comment above, the internet in a fridge! It is becoming endless the amount of devices we can fit into a package.

So in answer to your question “do I need all in one” apparently, you do. Within all of this chaos and transformations of products there are (hopefully) some productive things that can be found within these technologies. It is scary and amazing to think of what they will think of next…

Personally, I own a year old, pink Britney Spears phone which has no features, gadgets or gizmos except for a small camera which, when you take picture, you cannot even see them. Maybe it’s that I just haven’t updated myself with all of this new technology but I really do not see the need for the internet on my phone. I guess this is the ever changing world of technology and I am just going to have to get used to it.