Tuesday 13 May 2008

citizen journalism

Citizen journalism is a part of today's web 2.0 (also called participatory journalism). You don't have to be an educated journalist or have the job title journalist to publish a story. You don't even have to send your article or your opinion to a publisher to get your story published. You can just write a blog and there you go. You've published your own story for everyone to read. But a blog is not only for you to publish your story. When you open a blog you also open for everyone to comment on your blog (Steve Outing, 2005). Everyone is free to have their own opinion and they/we also are when it comes to articles printed in newspapers or elsewhere. But with citizen journalism it's open for everyone to publish their opinion for everyone instead of just having the chance telling your friends and family, and trying to publish a story in a paper. In a blog your story and your view is there to be criticized in any way at any time.

I've never tried blogging before I started this assignment and I don't know if I'm going to continue when I'm done with KCB201. This is simply because I don't like to write. But this does not mean I don't have any views on what I read or hear about. I guess I'll continue the "old fashion way" and just tell my ideas in person to friends, family or whomever I talk to. When this is said I don't mind people blogging at all. I think it is an easy way for people today to engage with what happens in the world either it is a world crisis or simply celebrity gossip.

No comments: